Please Note

Whenever you use the links on my blog's to make purchases, such as from Mystic Monk Coffee, CCleaner, and others, I earn a small commission. This commission does not have any effect on your costs.


Saturday, October 22, 2011

Daily Mass Readings for Sunday, October 23, 2011



FIRST READING: Exodus 22: 20 - 26

20 "Whoever sacrifices to any god, save to the LORD only, shall be utterly destroyed.
21 "You shall not wrong a stranger or oppress him, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt.
22 You shall not afflict any widow or orphan.
23 If you do afflict them, and they cry out to me, I will surely hear their cry;
24 and my wrath will burn, and I will kill you with the sword, and your wives shall become widows and your children fatherless.
25 "If you lend money to any of my people with you who is poor, you shall not be to him as a creditor, and you shall not exact interest from him.
26 If ever you take your neighbor's garment in pledge, you shall restore it to him before the sun goes down.

PSALM: Psalms 18: 2 - 4, 47, 51

2 I love thee, O LORD, my strength
3 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
4 I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.
47 The LORD lives; and blessed be my rock, and exalted be the God of my salvation,
51 Great triumphs he gives to his king, and shows steadfast love to his anointed.

SECOND READING: 1 Thessalonians 1: 5 - 10

5 for our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction. You know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake.
6 And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction, with joy inspired by the Holy Spirit;
7 so that you became an example to all the believers in Macedo'nia and in Acha'ia.
8 For not only has the word of the Lord sounded forth from you in Macedo'nia and Acha'ia, but your faith in God has gone forth everywhere, so that we need not say anything.
9 For they themselves report concerning us what a welcome we had among you, and how you turned to God from idols, to serve a living and true God,
10 and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come.

GOSPEL: Matthew 22: 34 - 40

34 But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sad'ducees, they came together.
35 And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question, to test him.
36 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"
37 And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
38 This is the great and first commandment.
39 And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
40 On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets."