Please Note

Whenever you use the links on my blog's to make purchases, such as from Mystic Monk Coffee, CCleaner, and others, I earn a small commission. This commission does not have any effect on your costs.


Sunday, October 19, 2014

Sunday Catholic Mass Readings For October 19, 2014

"The Tribute Money" -- by James Tissot
"The Tribute Money"
-- by James Tissot

FIRST READING: Isaiah 45: 1, 4 - 6

1 Thus saith the Lord to my anointed Cyrus, whose right hand I have taken hold of, to subdue nations before his face, and to turn the backs of kings, and to open the doors before him, and the gates shall not be shut.
4 For the sake of my servant Jacob, and Israel my elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have made a likeness of thee, and thou hast not known me.
5 I am the Lord, and there is none else: there is no God, besides me: I girded thee, and thou hast not known me:
6 That they may know who are from the rising of the sun, and they who are from the west, that there is none besides me. I am the Lord, and there is none else.

PSALM: Psalms 96: 1, 3 - 5, 7 - 10

1 Sing ye to the Lord a new canticle: sing to the Lord, all the earth.
3 Declare his glory among the Gentiles: his wonders among all people.
4 For the Lord is great, and exceedingly to be praised: he is to be feared above all gods.
5 For all the gods of the Gentiles are devils: but the Lord made the heavens.
7 Bring ye to the Lord, O ye kindreds of the Gentiles, bring ye to the Lord glory and honour:
8 Bring to the Lord glory unto his name. Bring up sacrifices, and come into his courts:
9 Adore ye the Lord in his holy court. Let all the earth be moved at his presence.
10 Say ye among the Gentiles, the Lord hath reigned. For he hath corrected the world, which shall not be moved: he will judge the people with justice.

SECOND READING: 1 Thessalonians 1: 1 - 5

1 Paul and Sylvanus and Timothy: to the church of the Thessalonians, in God the Father, and in the Lord Jesus Christ.
2 Grace be to you and peace. We give thanks to God always for you all; making a remembrance of you in our prayers without ceasing,
3 Being mindful of the work of your faith, and labour, and charity, and of the enduring of the hope of our Lord Jesus Christ before God and our Father:
4 Knowing, brethren beloved of God, your election:
5 For our gospel hath not been unto you in word only, but in power also, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much fulness, as you know what manner of men we have been among you for your sakes.

GOSPEL: Matthew 22: 15 - 21

15 Then the Pharisees going, consulted among themselves how to insnare him in his speech.
16 And they sent to him their disciples with the Herodians, saying: Master, we know that thou art a true speaker, and teachest the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any man: for thou dost not regard the person of men.
17 Tell us therefore what dost thou think, is it lawful to give tribute to Caesar, or not?
18 But Jesus knowing their wickedness, said: Why do you tempt me, ye hypocrites?
19 Shew me the coin of the tribute. And they offered him a penny.
20 And Jesus saith to them: Whose image and inscription is this?
21 They say to him: Caesar's. Then he saith to them: Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God, the things that are God's.