Please Note

Whenever you use the links on my blog's to make purchases, such as from Mystic Monk Coffee, CCleaner, and others, I earn a small commission. This commission does not have any effect on your costs.


Monday, September 18, 2017

Daily Catholic Mass Readings for Tuesday, September 19, 2017

PD-1923
"The Resurrection of the Widow's Son at Nain"
-- by James Tissot

FIRST READING: 1 Timothy 3: 1-13

1 A faithful saying: if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2 It behoveth therefore a bishop to be blameless, the husband of one wife, sober, prudent, of good behaviour, chaste, given to hospitality, a teacher,
3 Not given to wine, no striker, but modest, not quarrelsome, not covetous, but
4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all chastity.
5 But if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?
6 Not a neophyte: lest being puffed up with pride, he fall into the judgment of the devil.
7 Moreover he must have a good testimony of them who are without: lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
8 Deacons in like manner chaste, not double tongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre:
9 Holding the mystery of faith in a pure conscience.
10 And let these also first be proved: and so let them minister, having no crime.
11 The women in like manner chaste, not slanderers, but sober, faithful in all things.
12 Let deacons be the husbands of one wife: who rule well their children, and their own houses.
13 For they that have ministered well, shall purchase to themselves a good degree, and much confidence in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.

PSALM: Psalms 101: 1–3, 5-6

1 Mercy and judgment I will sing to thee, O Lord: I will sing,
2 And I will understand in the unspotted way, when thou shalt come to me. I walked in the innocence of my heart, in the midst of my house.
3 I did not set before my eyes any unjust thing: I hated the workers of iniquities.
5 The man that in private detracted his neighbour, him did I persecute. With him that had a proud eye, and an unsatiable heart, I would not eat.
6 My eyes were upon the faithful of the earth, to sit with me: the man that walked in the perfect way, he served me.

GOSPEL: Mark 6: 17 - 29

11 And it came to pass afterwards, that he went into a city that is called Naim; and there went with him his disciples, and a great multitude.
12 And when he came nigh to the gate of the city, behold a dead man was carried out, the only son of his mother; and she was a widow: and a great multitude of the city was with her.
13 Whom when the Lord had seen, being moved with mercy towards her, he said to her: Weep not.
14 And he came near and touched the bier. And they that carried it, stood still. And he said: Young man, I say to thee, arise.
15 And he that was dead, sat up, and began to speak. And he gave him to his mother.
16 And there came a fear on them all: and they glorified God, saying: A great prophet is risen up among us: and, God hath visited his people.
17 And this rumour of him went forth throughout all Judea, and throughout all the country round about.