Please Note

Whenever you use the links on my blog's to make purchases, such as from Mystic Monk Coffee, CCleaner, and others, I earn a small commission. This commission does not have any effect on your costs.


Saturday, February 16, 2013

Sunday Mass Readings For February 17, 2013

"Jesus Tempted in the Wilderness" (left), "Jesus Transported by a Spirit onto a High Mountain"(center), and "Jesus Carried up to a Pinnacle of the Temple" (right) - by James Tissot


FIRST READING: Deuteronomy 26: 4 - 10

4 And the priest taking the basket at thy hand, shall set it before the altar of the Lord thy God:
5 And thou shalt speak thus in the sight of the Lord thy God: The Syrian pursued my father, who went down into Egypt, and sojourned there in a very small number, and grew into a nation great and strong and of an infinite multitude.
6 And the Egyptians afflicted us, and persecuted us, laying on us most grievous burdens:
7 And we cried to the Lord God of our fathers: who heard us, and looked down upon our affliction, and labour, and distress:
8 And brought us out of Egypt with a strong hand, and a stretched out arm, with great terror, with signs and wonders:
9 And brought us into this place, and gave us this land flowing with milk and honey.
10 And therefore now I offer the firstfruits of the land which the Lord hath given me. And thou shalt leave them in the sight of the Lord thy God, adoring the Lord thy God.

PSALM: Psalms 91: 1 - 2, 10 - 15

1 He that dwelleth in the aid of the most High, shall abide under the protection of the God of Jacob.
2 He shall say to the Lord: Thou art my protector, and my refuge: my God, in him will I trust.
10 There shall no evil come to thee: nor shall the scourge come near thy dwelling.
11 For he hath given his angels charge over thee; to keep thee in all thy ways.
12 In their hands they shall bear thee up: lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
13 Thou shalt walk upon the asp and the basilisk: and thou shalt trample under foot the lion and the dragon.
14 Because he hoped in me I will deliver him: I will protect him because he hath known my name.
15 He shall cry to me, and I will hear him: I am with him in tribulation, I will deliver him, and I will glorify him.

SECOND READING: Romans 10: 8 - 13

8 But what saith the scripture? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart. This is the word of faith, which we preach.
9 For if thou confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him up from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For, with the heart, we believe unto justice; but, with the mouth, confession is made unto salvation.
11 For the scripture saith: Whosoever believeth in him, shall not be confounded.
12 For there is no distinction of the Jew and the Greek: for the same is Lord over all, rich unto all that call upon him.
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord, shall be saved.

GOSPEL: Luke 4: 1 - 13

1 And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost, returned from the Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the desert,
2 For the space of forty days; and was tempted by the devil. And he ate nothing in those days; and when they were ended, he was hungry.
3 And the devil said to him: If thou be the Son of God, say to this stone that it be made bread.
4 And Jesus answered him: It is written, that Man liveth not by bread alone, but by every word of God.
5 And the devil led him into a high mountain, and shewed him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time;
6 And he said to him: To thee will I give all this power, and the glory of them; for to me they are delivered, and to whom I will, I give them.
7 If thou therefore wilt adore before me, all shall be thine.
8 And Jesus answering said to him: It is written: Thou shalt adore the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
9 And he brought him to Jerusalem, and set him on a pinnacle of the temple, and he said to him: If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself from hence.
10 For it is written, that He hath given his angels charge over thee, that they keep thee.
11 And that in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest perhaps thou dash thy foot against a stone.
12 And Jesus answering, said to him: It is said: Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
13 And all the temptation being ended, the devil departed from him for a time.